Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Maple Pistachio Crusted Salmon


     I was feeling kind of adventurous and really wanted something special.  I had some salmon filets in the fridge and wanted to spice them up with something different so I came up with this topping for the fish in my head while at work.  I thought the combination of sweetness from the glaze and the distinct flavor of pistachios would be a great combination.  Trust me, (and my coworker), they were.  Now I have had many kinds of fish coated or crusted in different types of nuts and they always seem to be a great combination of textures for the fish.  I'm truly not a nut fan, however I do like pistachios and often have some in my house so I thought what the heck.  Maple Pistachio Crusted Salmon.

Ingredients:
  • 1-2 filets of Salmon
  • 1/4-cup maple syrup
  • 1 tbs honey
  • 1 tbs soy
  • Pinch garlic salt
  • Handful fresh pistachios crushed
  • Salt/pepper

     I started out by gently patting the Salmon filets with a paper towel to get rid of some of the moister on them.  I then salt and peppered them a little bit. Meanwhile I combined the maple syrup, honey, soy, and garlic salt in a bowl whisked until well blended.  I then laid out some tinfoil and placed the salmon on top of it.  I took a marinating kitchen brush and gently coated the salmon filets with the maple syrup mixture.  I then sprinkled the crushed pistachios over the salmon filets.  Brought all four ends of the tinfoil over top of the salmon filets to create a portable covered baking dish.  Then in my heated broiler I placed the salmon and let it cook for roughly 5-7 minutes.  If you don't have a broiler I recommend using a hot grill.  After about 5-7 minutes I uncovered the salmon by opening up the tinfoil fixture to brown the pistachios and the top a bit.  Don't leave it in there too long, only about a minute as they start to brown quickly.  Remove and let cool a bit.  You can check to see if it is at your preferred temperature.  I prefer my salmon a bit on the medium side.  Serve over some great multi grain rice or your choice of side dish.  Serves 2. 



No comments:

Post a Comment