Friday, April 5, 2013

Homemade Pasta!

Pasta
Fresh Pasta Drying On Pasta Tree


      
 
 
      Ok, so I decided to share the secret to making fresh homemade Pasta.  It is quick, simple, easy, requires very little, and as soon as you get the hang of it, it will only take you less than a half hour to complete.  Nothing tastes better than homemade pasta.  It's hard to explain what it is like to taste fresh pasta.  They have a bite to them unlike that of boxed dry noodles.  They cook in under 5 minutes and just all around make you feel better about cooking. 

       Many people use different things to produce their pasta.  My great grandmother and grandmother used a wooden box brought over from their part of Italy called a "Chitarra".  My grandmother later moved to hand cutting or using a metal pasta machine.  My mother continued using the metal pasta machine as well as hand cutting, however has since used an electric machine and feels it makes things much better on her aging hands.   I prefer to use the metal machine and hand cutting.  Give Pasta a try and you will never eat from a box again. This recipe makes enough Pasta for 2-4 people.  I can usually eat enough for 2 with some leftovers so probably go with 4.

Ingredients:

  • 4 eggs
  • 1 1/3 cups flour, (1/3 per egg)
  • Couple pinches of salt

      My grandmother used to pour all the dough onto the counter and make a mound with a hole in the top.  She would then crack all her eggs into the well and gradually mix the flour into the center.  I find using a mixing bowl much easier and less messy.  I crack all the eggs in a bowl and sprinkle in the salt and mix.  I then mix in a 1/3 cup flour at a time until well mixed.  I have found that you should use 1/3 cup flour, or 4 heaping tablespoons per egg, and you will get the perfect dough consistency.  Once you have mixed in all the flour you should have a nice well formed ball of dough.  Turn the dough out onto a floured surface where you will kneed with the extra flour from the counter and form the perfect Pasta dough. The dough will feel nice and firm but soft at the same time.  I always make my dough the night before using so I store it in the fridge wrapped in tinfoil.  I find it easier to cut when it is chilled.  When cooking fresh pasta it only takes roughly 5 minutes to cook.  Once the water is boiling you toss in the pasta.  Once it comes back to a boil and the Pasta floats to the top it is finished.  Drain and serve with your favorite sauce.

                                  (the two types of machines in our house)








2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pasta!

    We use about the same ratio of egg to flour. I roll it out and hand cut with a pizza cutter.

    Wonderful for homemade chicken soup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have cut them by hand before. Yes they go great in homemade Chicken Soup...

      Delete